A Green Card is known as a permanent residence card that allows non-US citizens to work and stay in the United States permanently and legally. The Diversity Immigrant Visa program which is also known as the Green Card lottery program in which the US allows up to fifty-five thousand people from different countries to apply for immigration in the US, it is a cheap and straightforward way to get entry in the US.
It is proved a ”Golden Ticket” for many hopeful immigrants who wants to enter the US. This lottery randomly selects eligible immigrants who applied through a diversity visa program from different countries with low rates of immigration to the United States.
It is also known as the Green Card lottery program because the visa of the winner immigrant upgraded to a Green Card on his entry into the US.
They are different stages to win the Green card lottery
- First, to register for the lottery.
- Then you have to wait to find out your status.
- After winning the Green card lottery the applicant must confirm his qualification.
- Next is to submit your immigrant visa and alien registration card.
- If the visas are available, you will then proceed to the interview stage.
- After the interview, they will decide either to accept or reject your application.
Eligibility requirements for Diversity Visas Lottery
To apply and submit your entry, you need to meet the requirements of the Diversity Visa lottery program:
- You don’t need to be eighteen years old to apply, you can be seventeen but you have to meet all of these requirements given below.
- You are at least high school graduated or having a successful completion of 12 years course of secondary and elementary education.
- The minimum requirement of education for eligibility is that you must have a high school diploma, if you don’t have any high school diploma there are two ways to go around, you can either show that your skills are equivalent to the high school diploma or you have two years of working experience within the previous five years in a certain occupation or have two years of training experience in that occupation.
- Make sure that you are applying from an eligible country.
- Your country for use for your eligibility is that country where you were born not that country where you are living today.
- People who are born in the following countries are not eligible to apply: China(including Hong Kong SAR), Bangladesh, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, EI Salvador, Dominican Republic, Haiti, Guatemala, Jamaica, India, Nigeria, Mexico, Philippines, Pakistan, United Kingdom(except North Ireland)and it’s dependent territories, South Korea and Vietnam.
- If your country is not included in the eligibility list, the reason is this there are more than 50,000 people from your country already arrived in the US in the previous five years through this lottery program.
- There are two exceptions where you can claim your eligibility while living in these countries, the first exception is eligibility based on your parents and the second is eligibility based on your spouse
- In case your spouse is eligible if he or she is from a different country, you can apply based on his or her eligibility.
- The same is the case with your parents if you are under 21 and your parents are not born in one of these countries, not the natives of any of these countries and they didn’t reside in any of these countries when you were born so in that case you can apply and claim the eligibility based on your parents.
How to submit your entry for Green Card Lottery
- To apply for the Green Card Lottery program visit the website dvprogram.state.gov
- It is an online application program that stays open for only thirty minutes, so you have a total of thirty minutes to submit your entry.
- Part one is about entrant information like name, gender, date of birth, city, and country where you were born, passport, photograph, mailing address, education, etc fill the whole form very closely and carefully.
- Pay special attention to the form while you are filling the passport portion.
- While adding your picture make sure that it is in a white background and ask for the help of a family member for taking a proper picture according to the requirement of the form.
- While filling out an E-mail address blank, you make sure that you are using that E-mail address and you will remember it.
- As we know that minimum requirement of education is a high school diploma to apply for the diversity visa lottery program, so fill that block according to your education.
- At last, you have to fill in your marital status and in case you are married then write the number of children what you have.
- After you are all done, read the whole form thoroughly make sure that there isn’t any mistake that affects your application or entry, and then submit it.
- Once you submit your entry you will be able to have the confirmation number, confirmation number is very important because through that number you will know whether you are selected or not.
- To check whether you are selected or not, click on check status, they will ask you a confirmation number, name, date of birth, email address, and Authentication code, and then submit it after that you get to know whether you are selected or not.
Green Card lottery interview
After you got selected you called for an interview, questions in the interview are quite simple and according to your field:
- Be ready with your documentation, make sure you have an interview appointment letter, passport, passport size pictures, birth certificates, police certificate, school certificates/ diplomas, CV or resume, Visa fee, Medical exam report, Marriage Certificates, Divorce Decree, Legal separation papers, adoption papers, deported documents or other important legal documents according to your case.
- They will probably be asked from which high school you were graduated, your subjects, or your grades.
- They will ask you the name of the agency you are working for the name of your owner or their phone numbers to make sure your eligibility.
- They will ask you why do you leave this job, problems that you are facing while doing your job, or many other things, questions are random about your job but you have to answer all of them with your full attention.
- Be ready to provide certificates and diplomas that you have to support your education level.
- If you are self-employed you also have registered documents of your business to prove it, so in this case ask a question regarding your field.
- They will ask further questions about your life in the United States, what you are going to do in the United States, where you are going to live in the United States, listen carefully before answering any of them.
- They further ask you questions regarding your marriage life or your children to verify whether you are married or not.
Many other questions they’ll ask you but these are common questions that probably asked by everyone.
How to increase your chance to win Diversity Visa Lottery:
- Always use your valid passport.
- If you have family members, spouses or children, you can register them individually, in case they are selected they will be able to bring you with them, which will increase your chance for immigration.
- The diversity visa lottery is free, you don’t need to pay anybody to apply, if someone is asking you to pay for an application it must be a fraud or scam.
- You don’t need to hire anybody to submit your entry, you can perfectly do it on your own, even you don’t need any of your family members to do this.
- Submit your application on time read it thoroughly and double-check your information before submitting it to avoid errors.